Workshop in Guelph
I'll be appearing at the main branch of the Guelph Public Library in September, to repeat the workshop on marketing short fiction that I gave with On Spec's Diane Walton this past May out in Edmonton. This workshop will be the first in a new series that Kevin Nunn has added to the Sound of Writing reading series. Readings and workshops will alternate on a monthly basis going forward, if all works out as Kevin hopes. Here's a link to the public Facebook event page.
I'm planning to cover the same topics as in the Edmonton workshop, but this time, unfortunately without the editor's perspective that Diane provided. Here's the outline:
- Did you know that you never actually "sell" a story?: Licensing rights to fiction – what you need to know
- So you've written a story. Now what?: How to market short fiction. How to choose markets. How an editor chooses a story.
- So you've sold a story. What happens next?: Contracts, editing requests, copy edits, getting it noticed, etc.
- Your story's been published. Is that all there is?: Selling reprints and other rights. Awards. Best of Anthologies. Collections.
- Ebooks and self-publishing: What this means for the short fiction writer.
- Question and Answer session
Hope to see you there!